New South Wales
Jim Mein AM, FCA, FCPA, FMIL and FLGAA,
Chairman, The Order of Australia Association NSW Branch
Awarded Member of the Order of Australia in the Australia Day 2010 Honours List. The citation was:
“For service to the Uniting Church in Australia through a range of roles, to the promotion of interfaith dialogue, to education and to the community.”
His background for each of these points (including community service since 2010) is as follows:
- Services to the Uniting Church in Australia, including:
- First full-time Moderator of the Uniting Church Synod of NSW and ACT 2004-2007
- Synod Board of Finance and Property 1981-2004 and Uniting Resources 2011-2012 in capacities as Board member, Chairperson, General Secretary and Executive Director
- Member of the Synod and National Assembly Standing Committees (governing bodies)-each more than twelve years
- Member of the Synod’s aged care governing bodies for over twenty years
- National Coordinator of the Church’s national responses to federal inquiries and bills/legislation- GST, Income tax, charities, Charities Commission, etc.
- Membership of nine Uniting Church School Councils: PLC, Knox Grammar (twice, including once as Treasurer), Kinross Wolaroi, MLC Burwood (Including Treasurer), Newington College (President), Margaret Jurd College, Brindabella Christian School, Ravenswood School and Wahroonga Preparatory School; also, Synod Director of Schools Ministry 2008-2012
- Chair of the National Finance Committee
- Member of the NSW & ACT Synod Relations with Other Faiths Reference Group
- At one time, a member of 53 committees, councils, task groups and boards of the church in NSW and ACT as well as nationally.
- Promotion of Interfaith dialogue:
- Formerly, Member of the advisory board of Affinity Intercultural Foundation (associated with Turkish Australian Muslims) 2011-2018
- Winner of the 2006 Australian Interfaith Dialogue Award
- Speaker at the 2007 International Conference of Christians and Jews
- Treasurer of the NSW Council of Christians and Jews.
- Scouting as a Cub leader, then Scout Leader 3rd Wahroonga, before becoming Assistant Scout and then Group Leader of 4th South Turramurra Scout Groups
- Deputy President of Kindergarten Union in NSW
- Board of Claughton House Isolated Children’s Home in Hay, NSW
- Rotary in District roles of Chair of Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Programme and District Vocational Services Director as well as a Club President and many other service roles as well as being awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship.
- President of the Old Knox Grammarians Association.
- Trustee of the Milton Corporation Foundation
- Member, Religious Property Panel of the NSW State Heritage Office, 1994 to 2004
- School Council Roles as mentioned above.
- Chairperson of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia’s NSW Branch Professional Development Committee which introduced the very successful Professional Development Week; and Member of the National Disciplinary and Professional Development Committees
- Member of the Consultative Committee of the Association of Independent Schools in NSW 2008 TO 2012
- Since his AM Award, beside completing some roles above:
- Treasurer then Chairman of the board of Frontier Services (formerly the Australian Inland Mission founded by Reverend John Flynn)
- Chairman of Benefund Limited 2012 to 2016 and Board member 2008 to 2016
- Inaugural Chairperson of the Sydney Central Coast Presbytery of the Uniting Church
- Member of the Synod’s Relations with Other Faiths Committee.
- One of Four Uniting Church voting members of the Dialogue between the Uniting Church Synod of NSW and Act and the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies since 2016
- Board member of Wesley Community Services Ltd, 2013 to 2018.
- Speakers Convenor, then current President of Thornleigh Mixed Probus Club, and Convenor of the Probus Cluster 5 group of some 12 Probus Clubs
- Elder of the Thornleigh Hillcrest Uniting Church and Chair of its Mission Planning Task Group.
- Treasurer, 2016 to 2019, then Deputy Branch Chair of the NSW Branch of The Order of Australia Association Ltd as well as a National Board Director of the Association in 2020. Appointed NSW Branch Chairman, 23 February 2021.
- Director and Treasurer of Youth Community Service Awards Alumni Ltd since April 2020.
- Completed 50 years as an NSW Justice of Peace
- Jim Mein’s Professional Background includes:
- Fellow of each of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia and the Australian Institute of Managers and Leaders (Formerly Australian Institute of Management) and the Local Government Auditors Association of NSW
- Formerly a Fellow of the Taxation Institute in Australia, Institute of Company Directors, and Australian Institute of Association Executives.
- Member of the National Disciplinary Committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants 1996 to 2004.
- National Chair 1990 to 1992 and 1994 of Bentleys Moores Rowland Chartered Accountants and member of the International Management Committee for Moores Rowland International 1991 to 1993.
- NSW Chairman of the Professional Development Committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Secretary, then President of the Local Government Auditors Association of NSW and Honorary Life Member.
- Group Leader in the inaugural year of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, NSW, Professional Year Programme.
JIM Mein AM
New South Wales Branch
Order of Australia Association
23rd February 2021